Recipe By: @athomewithastghik.
This recipe just screams fall to me. The pumpkin-based cake makes your kitchen smell so good with all of its warm spices from the pumpkin pie spice. In addition, the frosting/filling contains less sugar and butter than the regular cream cheese frosting recipe; but, it still tastes delicious!
The filling and this pumpkin-based cake pair so nicely together.
The Pumpkin Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Banana Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 1 ( 8 Oz) container of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar, may add more if preferred
How to Make the Pumpkin Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Butter a 17 1/2 - by 12 1/2 - inch baking sheet, then place parchment paper over the buttered baking sheet. Spread some more butter over the parchment paper as well. This way, the cake will release easily. Set it aside.
- To a bowl, add the flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix with a fork (in a whisking motion) to combine. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- Add the eggs, sugar, pumpkin purée, and vanilla extract to a bowl or stand mixer. Mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture (in 3 batches, mixing in-between each time).
- Pour the mixture into the baking sheet and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Dust confectioner’s sugar over a clean kitchen towel.
- Run a knife along the sides of the cake to make sure the cake isn’t sticking to the sides of the baking sheet.
- Next, invert the cake onto the kitchen towel dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Remove the parchment paper.
- Using the towel, roll the cake from one short side to the other short end. Make sure it’s sitting on the seam side down. Set it aside, at room temperature, to cool completely (which can take about 1.5 hours)
Pro Tip: rolling the cake at this step helps make it easier to roll the cake once it has cooled.
How to make the filling and assemble your Pumpkin Roll:
- Add the softened cream cheese and butter to a bowl and mix with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides and add the banana. Mix for another minute. The mixture should be nice and fluffy. Add the confectioners sugar and mix.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or with a lid and let it sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once the cake has cooled, unroll the cake. Spread most of the filling evenly over the cake. Gently roll the cake the same way but this time without the towel. Place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour to help it firm up.
- Dust with confectioners sugar, slice and serve! (Store the rest in the refrigerator.)
Pro Tip: If serving it for a formal gathering, be sure to cut the ends off before showcasing it as the swirl looks best without the ends.
Love all things pumpkin? Try this super simple one bowl pumpkin bread recipe!