To throw a bit of science at you, silicone is an inert, rubber-like material that is safe, durable and flexible. Silicone is created from oxygen and bonded silicon, a very common natural element found in sand and rock. Bumkins only uses 100% food-safe silicone in our products, without any fillers. Our products are always tested by third-party labs and meet or exceed all US safety standards as established in the CPSIA and FDA.
What is Silicone?
STAIN & ODOR RESISTANT
SAFE IN APPLIANCES
EASY TO CLEAN
DURABLE & LONG-LASTING
Why We Love Silicone
It’s clean. Silicone has a natural resistance to bacteria, mold, and fungus.
It’s durable. It lasts! It can withstand both hot and cold temperatures. It is also resistant to age, sunlight, and moisture. Plus, the colors do not fade!
Easy-to-clean. You can hand wash it, throw it in the dishwasher, or even boil it.*
Safe in appliances. Warm it, freeze it, bake it. It's safe for the microwave and for the oven up to 400 °F
At Bumkins, we care about your little one's safety. We use third-party labs to test all of our silicone products, including their colorings, to ensure that they meet all safety standards set forth by the CPSIA. Unlike plastic, silicone does not contain any petroleum-based plastics or toxic chemicals like BPA, BPS, lead, or phthalates. It is also non-toxic to animals and marine life.
US Safety Standards
- - U.S. CPSIA, Section 101 for Total Lead Content | PASS
- - Bisphenol-A (BPA), Bisphenol-S (BPS) and Bisphenol-F (BPF) detection | PASS
- - S. CPSIA, Section 108, Phthalate Content | PASS
- - FDA 21 CFR 177.2600, Rubber resin safety in use with food contact | PASS
- - 16 CFR 1500.44 – Flammability in Toys | PASS
- - 16 CFR 1501 – Small Parts
- - 16 CFR 1500.48+.49 – Sharp Points/Edges
Platinum Curing Agent
Let’s put our lab coats on again to talk about how our silicone is made. Before being molded into our products, silicone starts out as a soft gel or liquid material. Once formed into a shape, the silicone must be cured, or hardened, to remain solid. Bumkins uses the highest quality curing process—platinum curing. The platinum curing process does not result in the creation of any by-products, ensuring you get the purest silicone.
Benefits of Platinum Curing Agents vs Peroxide Agents
- Increased durability
- Better resistance to staining, odors, and bacteria
- More stick resistance, so foods wash off easily
- Less likely for dust and dirt to stick
- Considered cleaner and purer than peroxide; primarily used in silicone medical devices