By: Pegah Jalali, @pediatricdietitian
Breakfast can be hard for parents. Babies and toddlers wake up, you need to get them changed and ready for the day, and then breakfast on the table and out the door. Every family has different preferences but finding a few favorites that can be easy morning staples can help manage the start of the day.
Some families prefer make-ahead breakfast options like overnight oats and muffins. It can be easy to slightly change these breakfast options by adding different fruits, vegetables, and seasonings.
Here are some great breakfast options for babies and toddlers (and adults!)
- Oatmeal or overnight oats: you can add different fruits for sweetness like bananas, apples, or berries. You can also add peanut butter or almond butter for a boost of fat and protein. Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla are also a great addition.
- Yogurt: similar to oatmeal, you can dress yogurt up with fruits, hemp seeds, chia seeds, nut butters, and spices.
- Smoothie bowl: make your favorite smoothies and top with dry cereal and fruits.
- Waffle: top with peanut butter, almond butter, and/or mashed berries and bananas.
- French toast: you can cook down some berries like blueberries to add as a topping.
- Pancakes: the possibilities are endless with pancakes you can make them with everything from spinach and bananas to zucchini and apples.
- Toast: this quick go-to is versatile and you can top with nut butters, cheese, or avocado.
- Cereal with milk: another easy and quick option, you can add some berries or chopped apples or bananas.
- Eggs: can either be offered to babies hard boiled, cooked as an omelet or as an egg muffin.