Recipe By: @athomewithastghik
This meal comes together quickly and is a tasty way to eat zucchini. The sauce is spooned into the zucchini boats and topped with mozzarella cheese. As the cheese bakes and melts, it pairs so nicely with the rest of the ingredients.
- 4 medium zucchini, washed and patted dry
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 28 ounces jarred marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 cup spinach, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop the insides out by using a small spoon, making sure to leave the sides intact. The zucchini should look like a boat.
Note: if looking to use up the scooped zucchini, finely dice it, place it in a kitchen towel over a bowl, and wring out the moisture. Set it aside. This will be added to our sauce.
- Transfer the zucchini boats to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle a little bit of salt, and set it aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the thawed ground turkey. Cook until the pink isn’t visible. Add the diced onions and minced garlic. Cook until the meat has fully cooked through. Add the marinara sauce, the scooped zucchini (finely diced), salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover with a lid, and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then, turn the heat off, and add the Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, spinach, and cilantro. Mix and scoop this mixture into the zucchini boats.
- Garnish the boats with some mozzarella cheese and bake it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the zucchini is fork-tender.
Note: If you have extra meat mixture leftover, you may make more zucchini boats or cook some pasta and mix the meat mixture with the cooked and drained pasta
Serve the zucchini boats with the pasta and your favorite sides!
Served below with lentil pasta mixed with the extra meat mixture, mangoes, and pineapples.
Have leftover or zucchini or want more quick meal ideas with greens? Try these zucchini fritters with spinach!