Recipe By: @athomewithastghik
This Chickpea Pesto Pasta recipe is a great way to eat chickpeas and benefit from its nutrients. I also added spinach to the pesto to help add some more nutrients. Additionally, this meal may be eaten on its own with just the pesto and the cooked pasta. Or, you may add desired ingredients to help create your own pasta salad dish. Here’s what I included in mine:
Ingredients to make the Pasta Salad:
- 1/2 pound (or 8.8 ounces) of pasta , cooked and drained (I used Sea Shapes Tri-Colored Pasta)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup small diced cucumbers
- 1/4 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup small diced mozzarella balls or shredded mozzarella
- Chickpea Pesto, see recipe below
Ingredients to make the Chickpea Pesto (nut-free):
- 1/2 cup of canned chickpeas (drained and washed)
- 5 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/2 cup spinach
- Cook pasta to the package’s instructions or your liking. Drain the water and transfer the pasta to a bowl.
- To make the chickpea pesto, add all ingredients to a food processor. Blend for about a minute or two until the mixture is smooth (stopping in between to scrape down the sides and blend some more).
- Transfer the pesto to the bowl with the cooked and drained pasta. Add your desired ingredients for the pasta salad. I added shredded carrots, small diced cucumber, small diced red bell pepper, and small diced mozzarella balls or shredded mozzarella.
- Mix to combine and enjoy.
Served with almond crackers, cheese, oranges, and strawberries.
Love pesto? You'll love this bright pea pesto pasta recipe!