Shikha of @my.little.food.critic puts a nutritious spin on a family favorite:
Veggie-loaded comfort food! This quick and easy pasta dish is creamy, cheesy, and loaded with cauliflower. Cauliflower adds fiber and antioxidants to this family favorite, along with a great texture.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 2 adults and 2 toddlers
What do you need?
- 1 cup macaroni pasta
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese + 1/4 cup for sprinkling over the top
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 200c/400f.
- Boil or steam the cauliflower florets until soft, about 6-7 minutes for fresh and 4-5 for frozen cauliflower.
- Drain the cauliflower and blend until smooth.
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make your sauce. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and then add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Then add the flour to form a roux, stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the milk, a little bit at a time, and stir continuously.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the pepper. Stir to combine.
- Then add the cheese and stir.
- Add the turmeric and stir to combine.
- Pour in the cauliflower purée and stir through.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 tbsp of the pasta water. Add the cooked pasta and 1 tbsp reserved water to the sauce. Stir to combine.
- If you prefer a runnier consistency, add a splash more milk.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake in the oven, for about 20 minutes, until golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Want to try another nutritious pasta dish? Try Shikha's 10 min Pea Pesto Pasta!