Recipe By: @athomewithastghik
I love to pair broccoli with sharp cheddar cheese; they just pair so nicely together! Here I made a cheese sauce and baked it with broccoli. I added some mushrooms and spinach to the casserole to help make it extra nutritious!
I served it with quinoa, but you may serve it on its own, with rice, or anything else that’s desired. I also pair it with a side of steamed sweet potatoes, diced strawberries, and halved blueberries.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 pounds of broccoli
- 4 pieces of Cremini mushrooms, cleaned and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup spinach, washed and finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, may add more or less
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or may use your favorite breadcrumbs
How to Make Broccoli Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Wash the broccoli and cut it into chunks or your preferred size.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the broccoli. Boil the broccoli for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to drain the water. Set it aside.
- To a pot (I used a 3-quart pot), add the oil and allow it to get hot. Next, add the finely diced onions and mushrooms. Sauté the onions and mushrooms for about 4-5 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until the mushrooms have cooked.
- Remove from the pot and set it aside with the broccoli.
- Warm the milk in a saucepan, but don’t bring it to a boil (just enough to warm the milk); This will help prevent the sauce from having any lumps from the flour. Once it has warmed up, turn the heat off and set it aside.
- To a pot (I used a 3-quart pot), melt the butter and add the flour. Cook it for 3 minutes over medium heat, frequently stirring with a whisk. Next, carefully and slowly add the warm milk while whisking with the other hand. Cook, while constantly mixing with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Turn the heat off and add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Mix to combine.
- Add the salt, pepper, and mix. Add the broccoli, spinach, and mushroom mixture.
- Mix to combine.
- Transfer to a greased square baking dish.
- Top with panko bread crumbs, spray the panko breadcrumbs with oil (I used avocado oil-this will help the breadcrumbs to brown).
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the sides are bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Allow it to cool and serve.
Looking for more great fall recipes? Try this awesome Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce!