Recipe By: @athomewithastghik
These Individual Strawberry Shortcakes are full of flavor and great for the entire family to enjoy. The individual cakes might not be the traditional shortcake recipe, but they’re delicious and can even be enjoyed on their own.
You may serve the shortcakes in sandwich form, as I’ve done here, or cut the individual cakes into pieces and top them with strawberries and whipped cream.
🍓 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
🍓 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
🍓 1/2 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
🍓 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
🍓 1 teaspoon baking powder
🍓 2 large eggs
🍓 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
🍓 2 tablespoons of oil, I used avocado oil
🍓 1/2 cup of whole milk
Strawberry Mixture Ingredients:
🍓 2 pounds (32 ounces or 908 g) of strawberries, diced into chunks
🍓 2 tablespoons sugar, amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of your strawberries. May add more if desired.
🍓 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from about 1 lemon
🍓 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Strawberry Mixture Method:
- Wash and hull (remove the tops) the strawberries.
- Cut the strawberries into chunks and add them to a bowl. Add the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Mix with a spoon and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow for the flavors to develop.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Add the all-purpose flour, flaxseed meal, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder to a bowl. Mix with a fork to incorporate and set it aside.
- To a separate (large) bowl and whisk with a fork. Add the vanilla extract, oil and milk. Mix in a whisking motion to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 batches. The dough should start to come together. Gather the dough and transfer it to a floured work surface. Bring the dough together with your hands and knead until it comes together.
Note: If the dough is sticky, dust some flour on your work surface and on the dough. Knead some more.
- Dust your work surface (if needed) and your dough. Then, use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until the bottoms have browned. Allow them to cool completely.
- Once it has cooled, use a serrated knife to cut the cakes in half.
- Add some whipped cream to the bottom half of the cake. Then spoon some of the strawberry mixture (see above) and finally top with some more whipped cream and the top layer of the cake.
- You may also cut the halved cakes into pieces and add the whipped cream and some of the strawberries on top.