Recipe By: @athomewithastghik
Here I have used no-boil lasagna noodles that cook in the oven with the sauce to help save me some time making lasagna. Additionally, I’ve added vegetables like zucchini, carrot, and spinach for extra nutrients (adding these veggies is optional, they may also be left out)
- 1 pound of ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (finely diced)
- 28 ounces jarred marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (optional), moisture wrung out
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- about 16 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese (will use to add some to the mixture and some when layering)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of cilantro or parsley, finely diced
- 1 cup of spinach, finely diced
- 1 egg
- no-boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Add the thawed ground beef or turkey to a hot skillet and cook (breaking the meat up) until it’s no longer pink. Next, mix the diced onion and garlic into the meat. Allow the meat to fully cook through while occasionally mixing.
- Once the meat has cooked, add the marinara sauce, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Next, add the shredded zucchini (moisture wrung out) and shredded carrots. Mix to combine. Once the sauce boils, turn the heat off and set it aside.
- Add the ricotta cheese to a bowl, and the small diced spinach, finely diced cilantro or parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Mix to combine. Add the egg. Mix. Add 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Mix.
To Assemble the Lasagna:
Use a 9x13 deep baking dish.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. Spread it out evenly.
- Layer lasagna noodles in a single layer, making sure to cover the surface (may break off pieces to help cover the surface )
- Add 1 cup of the ricotta mixture and spread it out evenly
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese (save most of the cheese to layer on top of the lasagna)
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the sauce mixture and spread it out evenly
- Add lasagna noodles
- Spread the rest of the ricotta cheese mixture
- Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add 1 cup of the sauce and spread it out evenly
- Layer with the noddles
- Add the remaining sauce and spread it out.
- Finally, sprinkle the top generously with shredded mozzarella cheese to cover.
Then, grab aluminum foil that’s long enough to cover the baking dish. Spray foil with avocado oil or non-stick cooking spray to prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil. Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil (making sure the oiled surface is on the inside).
Pro Tip: I like to place the lasagna with the baking dish on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet (in case the juices run out of the baking dish, they drip onto the baking sheet and not in the oven).
Cover the lasagna and bake for 50 minutes covered. Slowly remove the foil, be cautious of the steam, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Note: when removing the foil (carefully and while being cautious of the steam), if the cheese sticks to the foil, may top the lasagna with some more shredded cheese before placing it back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes.
Remove, let sit to cool a bit, cut into desired pieces, serve and enjoy!
Served with salad on a Bumkins Grip Plate.