Recipe By: @athomewithastghik
These hand pies are so fun and festive for Halloween. They also contain a tasty pumpkin cream cheese filling that acts as a spread/dip. By the way, I love the flavor of this filling-it’s so good!
Furthermore, you may use any cookie cutter you’d like to create these hand pies.
Hand Pie Ingredients:
🎃 1 pie crust, homemade or store-bought
🎃 1 ounce of softened room temperature cream cheese
🎃 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
🎃 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
🎃 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; I used alcohol-free vanilla extract
🎃 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
🎃 semi-sweet mini chocolate chips to add to the filling
To prepare the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling:
- Add the softened cream cheese to a bowl or a stand mixer and blend for about 1-2 minutes or until it’s light and softened.
- Add the pumpkin purée and continue blending until the mixture is light and fluffy, for about 1-2 minutes. Add the pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract.
- Mix to combine. Add the sifted powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Use immediately or keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To prepare the hand pies:
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Roll the pie crust to about 12 inches.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out fun shapes, making sure to have 2 of each shape to help form a sandwich.
- Add a small amount of filling in the center of the pie crust
Note: Don’t add too much filling to the pie crust, as the filling will ooze out when the top layer is applied. Instead, I like to serve the spread as a side to dip the hand pies in. This way, you can still enjoy the great flavor of the filling without ruining the look of the hand pies.
- Add a couple of pieces of mini chocolate chips on top of the filling.
- Add egg wash (1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water) to the edges.
- Top with another cutout pie dough.
- Gently push edges with your fingers to help seal the doughs together.
- Transfer the hand pies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (mainly for easy cleanup)
- Place the hand pies in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Note: when working with pie dough, you want to make sure the dough is always kept cold. Placing it in the freezer for a short period of time will ensure the pie crust will be cold when placed in the oven. Which in turn will result in a flakier pie when baked.
- Remove from the freezer and apply egg wash to the hand pies.
- Bake at 425F for about 18-20 minutes or until golden in color
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
These hand pies are even tastier when served with some more Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling as a side/dip or spread.