Recipe by: Shikha of @my.little.food.critic
These squash tots are sure to be a winner! Velvety, sweet butternut squash pairs beautifully with herbs, making great finger food for little ones. You can easily double up the recipe, and batch cook these for quick and easy lunches.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Serves: 12-14 tots
What do you need?
- 400g butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp spelt flour (or use wholewheat flour)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Steam or boil the butternut squash for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Once cooked, mash the butternut squash until smooth.
- Add the cheese, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, parsley, and breadcrumbs. Mix until well combined.
- When cool enough to handle, use your hands to shape into tots and place onto the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 22-25 mins, until golden.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pro Tip: These can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for three days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Looking for more nutritious finger food ideas? Try these Taco Pockets made with pizza dough!