Introduce important vitamins and minerals to your little one early this holiday season with our take on baby's first pumpkin pie! After all, adults shouldn't be the only ones to have all the yummy holiday food.
Baby Food Pumpkin Pie
- 1 3-4 pound sugar pumpkin (or 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree)
- olive oil or coconut oil (if you are roasting fresh pumpkin)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup infant oatmeal powder
- 1-2 tablespoons genuine maple syrup (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon and dash of nutmeg will work too if no pumpkin pie spice on hand!)
If you are using fresh pumpkin:
Preheat oven to 350° F/180°. Cut the pumpkin in half crosswise. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds.Oil the bottom of the pan with a little bit of olive oil. Place the pumpkin halves cut-side down on the pan and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the pumpkin is soft and a knife goes in easily.
Allow to cool, then scoop the cooked pumpkin away from the outer skin with a spoon. You should get 1 1/2 - 2 cups of puree.
To make the puree:
Using a food processor, puree the pumpkin (1 1/2 cups), yogurt, oatmeal, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Taste for seasoning and add more maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice to taste.
If you are baking the puree:
Fill 2-3 small baking pans with puree about 1 inch thick and place into a 350° F/180° oven for 20-30 minutes, until the top is slightly browned on the edges. Remove and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Let us know how it goes! Tag us on IG (@bumkinsbaby) or on FB with your finished masterpieces, and your little one enjoying!